More than two decades after it first released, Microsoft’s classic real-time strategy game Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings is still regularly receiving new content. This week saw the release of Lords of the West, an expansion that adds three new campaigns and two more civilizations to the game.
The Sicilians and Burgundians are the focus of two of the new campaigns, while Edward Longshanks and the Britons are the focal point of the third set of missions.
The Burgundians are able to gather gold resources quickly and have a unique cavalry unit that uses shockwave attacks to carve through infantry and archers. The Sicilians are more focused on establishing a flexible army of ground units, and creating a strong food supply chain, and the Serjeant unique unit is a tough trooper that can also call in reinforcements by constructing a small fort.
Here’s what makes each of the new civilizations more unique, according to Microsoft:
- Cavalry civilization.
- Economic upgrades are available one Age earlier than other civilizations.
- Stable technologies cost -50%.
- Gunpowder units gain +25% attack.
- Cavalier upgrade available in the Castle Age.
- Relics generate both Gold & Food.
- Coustillier (cavalry) – Burgundian cavalry unit that utilizes a powerful shock attack when charging into battle. Strong vs. infantry and archers. Weak vs. Camel Riders and Monks.
- Flemish Militia (infantry) – Burgundian unique infantry unit. Strong vs. cavalry. Weak vs. archers.
- Burgundian Vineyards – Convert all food into gold at a 2:1 ratio, Farmers slowly generate gold in addition to food.
- Flemish Revolution – Upgrades all existing Villagers into Flemish Militia, allows creation of Flemish Militia at Town Centers.
- Infantry civilization.
- Castles and Town Centers are constructed 100% faster.
- Land military units absorb 50% of all incoming bonus damage.
- Farm upgrades provide +100% additional food to Farms before they need to be reseeded.
- Transport ships +5 carry capacity and +10 armor against anti-ship attacks.
- Serjeant – A hardy infantry unit which can also construct Donjons.
- Donjon – Unique fortification used to train Serjeants. Units can garrison in the building for protection; Archers and Villagers shoot additional projectiles when garrisoned.
- First Crusade – Upon researching, each Town Center (up to 5) spawns a one-time group of 10 Serjeants.
- Scutage – Upon researching, each team member receives a one-time payment of 15 gold for each military unit that they own.
Lords of the West is out now on the Microsoft Store and Steam, and Xbox Game Pass members can use their member discount to save 10%. The Age of Empires 2 remaster was added to Xbox Game Pass on PC in November 2019, and included updated 4K visuals, a retooled orchestral soundtrack, and various other balance tweaks and improvements.
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.